Author: Adam – The Meadery Member
Makes: 5 Gallons
Cran-Razz-Rhubarb Mead – Batch 2 – OG 1.082
January 20, 2013 – 5 Gallons Raspberry Cranberry Rhubarb Mead
- 1 Gallon (12lbs) artisanal MN Honey
- 4.5 Gallons of filtered water
- 4.5 pounds of frozen raspberries (thawed)
- 1 pound frozen cranberries (chop with food processor first, thawed)
- 1 pound frozen chopped rhubarb (thawed)
- The juice of one fresh lemon
- The juice of one fresh lime
- Yeast nutrient and energizer
- Wyeast 4783 | Rudesheimer
- Day 1 – Sanitize! Fill primary bucket with 3 gallons of room temp water and add gallon of honey. Mix for several minutes! Add hot water to honey pail and mix. Add the honey/water to the primary. Add ¼ teaspoon yeast nutrient and 1/8 teaspoon of yeast energizer. Top up to 5.25 gallons with filtered water. Add thawed fruit and a few raisins to honey mixture. Mix well. Add yeast and stir. Seal and add airlock.
- Day 2 – add ¼ teaspoon yeast nutrient and 1/8 teaspoon yeast energizer. Stir.
- Day 3 – add ¼ teaspoon yeast nutrient and 1/8 teaspoon yeast energizer. Stir.
- Day 4 – add ¼ teaspoon yeast nutrient and 1/8 teaspoon yeast energizer. Stir.
- Day 7 – still bubbling every 7 seconds at 60-62 degrees.
- Day 15 – Racked – Gravity reading shows 1.001
- Day 75 – Rack again. Stabilize.
- Day 120 – Rack. Add honey to taste.
- Day 125 – Bottle
- Day 270 – Open first bottle and enjoy.
Note: It had some off flavors in the aftertaste at about day 100. Hopefully it will go away with the addition of honey and more time.